Bilberry, native to Europe and British Isles, Vaccinium myrtillus is known as the European blueberry. Sometimes it is spelt as billberry, it produces flavoful blue berries that are enjoyed alone and also applied in traditional European herbalism. It is a healthy addition to any recipe, and the fruit can be used in infusions, smoothies, baking recipes, trail mixes, and granola. It can also be macerated in liqueurs, vinegars, and syrups.
Bilberries are often referred to as Blueberries, so you might get confused on how to call it, but don't confuse your sweet tooth with this Dried Blueberry/Bilberry Muffins.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup dried bluberries/bilberries
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl using a hand mixer. Set aside.
- Mix together dry ingredients, except the dried berries. Set aside.
- Add eggs to butter and sugar mixture, and beat eggs, and milk, and vanilla, into the mixture.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry, being careful to not overmix.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Grease muffin tin, or use liners.
- Fill each slot 3/4 full of mix.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from the hot pans and cool immediately.