Scientifically known as Cicorium intybus, Chicory Root is one of the many organic herbs that are not only used therapeutically, but for nutrition as well. Both its leaves and the dried and ground Chicory root are used as medicinal herbs and in the kitchen as a spice, boiled up as a side dish and used both as a flavoring for coffee, and as coffee substitute.
Try this delicious Chocolate Mousse Cake.
- 2 cups grass-fed butter
- 1 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp roasted chicory root
- 8 organic or pastured eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter an 8 x 11 inch cake pan and set aside.
- Over low heat, melt butter with honey, cocoa powder, sea salt, vanilla and roasted chicory root.
- When ingredients are smooth and butter is melted, remove from heat.
- Lightly beat eggs in a mixing bowl.
- While whisking, add chocolate mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Pour into buttered cake pan, bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Chill thoroughly, cut and serve. You can spread some whipped cream.