The Chipotle spice is created by harvesting jalapeños at the end of their growing season after they have turned red, they are then smoked over a wood , often pecan wood, fire for several days to remove the moisture. The spice has been postulated that the Aztecs in northern Mexico were the first to smoke jalapeños because they are difficult to dry and prone to rot. Its spice level is typically between 15,000 - 30,000 HU and is considered moderately pungent.
Put some spice in your life and enjoy this Simple Chipotle Chicken recipe.
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp pprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- cooking fat
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small bowl. whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, chipotle powder, chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Rub the chipotle marinade all over the chicken breasts.
- Let the chicken marinate 20 to 30 minutes, or up to 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt some cooking fat in an oven resistant skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear the chicken breast 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to the oven and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until the juices run clear and the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let it rest for 3 to 5 minutes before serving.