Hemp has a bad reputation as being an illegal narcotic, it deters many people from the hemp plant, Cannabis sativa. Although the plant's Latin name means "useful hemp" and the seeds are one of the most nutritious substance on earth. It contains all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids that our bodies need, which makes it a perfect protein supplement. No other single source provides such a complete protein in a form that is so easily digested and absorbed by the body. The seeds have nutty flavor which is similar to that of the sunflower seeds, and it can be eaten raw or added to salads, baked goods, granola, sauces, dips, and can be processed into milk, cheese, ice cream, margarine, or ground into flour.
Although Hemp Seeds may have a bad reputation, but it also has its benefits. Try this Mint Chocolate Hemp Seed Energy Bites.
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 6 Tbsp hemp hearts/seeds
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 3 Tbsp dark chocolate chimps or chunks
- 1 Tbsp water
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- shredded unsweetened coconut
- If your dates are a bit dry, first soak them in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Place soft, pitted dates in a high-powdered food processor and pulse until broken down. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the side of the food processor.
- Next, add hemp hearts, cocoa powder, unsweetened coconut, Greek yogurt, salt, extract, dark chocolate, and water. Pulse 5-6 times, or until all the ingredients are well-combined, forming a sticky mixture.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop batter and roll into bites. Option to make 15 tablespoon-sized bites or 8 larger ones.
- If wanting to roll in coconut or cocoa powder, place topping of choice in individual bowls and roll bites into topping of choice. Place bites in a baking dish.
- once all the bites have been rolled, place baking dish in the freezer for 20 minutes. Enjoy immediately, keeping leftovers stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.