Mexican Oregano is what they call the pizza spice, which is full of flavor and aroma - a strong personality, but one that partners well with other seasonings, too. It is indispensable in Italian and other Mediterranean cooking as well as Mexican fare.
Try and enjoy this Mexican Oaxacan Oregano Chicken Bake.
- 1.8kg chicken, cut into 8 or 10 pcs
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 cup rice
- 1 head garlic
- 3-4 Tbsp dried mexican oregano
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- Marinate the chicken pieces with the salt and lime juice for 10 minutes . Heat a large pot with 2 cups of water and place the chicken pieces in the water and simmer gently for 45 minutes with the lid off.
- Rinse the rice until water runs clear and add this making sure that the grains are submerged in the stock and place the lid on and let the rice stream for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the garlic, oregano, peppercorns, cumin seeds, salt in a mortar and pestle and bash away until you get a paste. Add to the pot - the water should have evaporated by now and stir to coat the chicken and rice with the garlic mixture and cook for a further 5 minutes or so softening the garlic. Drizzle with oil and lime juice.
- Optional: Place the chicken and rice under a grill to crisp up the chicken and rice.