Oregano is a well-known member of the mint family, it is warming, aromatic and slightly bitter, its is an herbaceous perennial and common garden plant. It is native to the warm and dry climate of the Mediterranean. The leaf is a familiar spice used in culinary dishes and can also be infused in oil or brewed as tea. It gets its name from the Greek which means "mountain of joy".
Enjoy this delicious Zucchini Pizza Boats
- 3 zucchinis, halved lengthwise, seeds scooped out
- 6 Tbsp pizza sauce
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 1.5 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 6 ollives, pitted, chopped
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, finely minced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange scooped out zucchini halves on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Fill each half with 1 Tbsp of pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle each halt with a thin layer of grated cheese, then a sprinkle of oregano.
- On top of this, layer slices of onion, tomato, and olives.
- Sprinkle with salt and freshly cracked pepper, and a light drizzle of olive oil.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until zucchini is tender and toppings are cooked.
- Finish with about 3 minutes on broil.
- When pizza boats are cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle each with fresh basil leaves, and serve.